Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Blessed

Reflecting on 40.

I hit 40 today. Weird.

I don't have to look very far to realize what this birthday means to me. I am grateful for the life I've had to this point.

Today, through various means of modern day communication, I heard from people in California, Indiana, Texas, Florida, Utah, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, and Colorado as well as Ireland, Panama, Canada, England, Germany, Greece, and Northern Ireland. I received texts, calls, visits, cards, emails, IM's, and Facebook wall posts. I spoke with friends, family, and former youth, heard from cousins, classmates, and students, and received warm wishes, cards, and gifts from co-workers and those in my "inner circle". I spoke with Adam and Mike, had dinner with Brenda, Forest, Jon, Ben, Jolene, Sput, and Corey, and chatted for a while on the internet with Brendan in Ireland. In addition, I enjoyed all the little surprises my wife did to make this birthday special.

I enjoyed the company and contact with so many people these last few days, and as contemplative as 40 may cause me to be, I simply come up with the same conclusion: life is better with people in it.


No comments: