Monday, July 20, 2009

Four-Wheeled Sanctuary

Somewhere on the American road.

With limited vacation time allowed to me this year, I decided to spread my time out over a series of three and four day weekends in order to take a series of road trips across parts of the American west I had yet to see. Each trip has been as different as the people I have asked to go with me. I explored Mexican-America with Brenda, Native America with Sput, and weird and wonderful America with our extended family. My latest escapade took me far north to wild America with my friend Jon.

Our extended weekend on the road began with a 14-hour drive to Glacier National Park in northern Montana. Glacier is one of America's pristine wilderness areas full of ice-carved peaks, sweeping valleys, impressive wildlife and wildflowers that set the place on fire. It's all a very spectacular and brilliant sight -- one that I have to admit, stirs my soul. Like most of these road trips, however, they are just a great excuse, really, to spend time with the people I love. As impressive as Glacier is, the park wasn't the highlight. The time with my friend was.

I guess that's one of the most appealing aspects of the classic American road trip. The destinations are always great, but the destination isn't necessarily the point. They journey to get there and who you share it with is.

Some might say that driving 2,000 miles in four days plus the wear and tear on the truck combined with the expense of gas isn't really worth it. Were it simply a matter of economics, that might be a valid point. I'll accept that such a trip is ridiculous, but I am more than happy to go well out of my way for time with a friend, family, or neighbor. Do we really need to justify the time, effort, or money that goes into these relationships?

While on the road, Jon suggested that we read aloud the book "The Shack" written by William Young. This book had been recommended to me on many occasions by friends and others who thought that I would appreciate its message. One of the unanticipated delights of this road trip was all the conversation that spun from what we were reading. Our discussions on the goodness of God, the nature of the God-head, and living in loving relationship with the Father and each other consumed the miles. At times, these two grown men were cruising down the interstate at 75(ish) miles an hour fighting back tears and choking on the words we were attempting to read.

It was sloppy. It was funny. It was good for us.

It seemed as though the story on paper was confirming so much of the story unfolding in our lives and how we enjoy the presence of God. Our conversation was rich and deep, something we both crave. He'd laugh whenever I would respond to a poignant message with a short, muffled "hmm" that indicated something hit home. I grinned to myself when I heard him do the same. Like the little child with a bedtime story, we wanted to hear more each time a chapter ended.

We were two men joined by a Third in our four-wheeled sanctuary.

Our road trip ended back where it started at 2300 Poplar Street. We were exausted but thankful that God had orchestrated our meeting five years ago and had built a friendship that was mutually-serving, honest, challenging, and fun. As impressive as Glacier was, it was relationship that delighted me the most. As I glanced over an awesome and inspiring creation, I was reminded that above everything else God put his hand to -- as impressive as His creation is -- it is His relationship with people that He delights in the most.

It's good to have Him as a friend. And just like the road, I'm sure the destination will be great, but I'm enjoying the getting there.


2 comments:

Jonathon Stalls said...

I LOVE YOU MAN! - haha, Amen brother. Amen...

- Jon

Lacey said...

What a great post, and thoughts. It's the people, not the places that I travel that make it all worth while. My mom often asks me if its worth it to spend all the money and time I spend to travel different places, but in my mind people are always worth it. Looking forward to my time with you a couple short weeks.