Tuesday, July 14, 2009

# & $

The measure of a church?

There can be no doubt that church, as we have understood it, is changing. One of the changes that I am most encouraged by is how we measure growth and success. Traditional paradigms for church success have usually been measured by the following questions:

How much?

How many?

How often?

Church growth proponents and others have long suggested that a healthy church is a growing church (with a large budget). "Growth", of course, seems to be focused on growing our numbers rather than growing our people. Like many others, you may have visited a large church only to discover very little Christian maturity or community ministry coming from the masses. On the other hand, I have visited many small congregations whose maturity and presence were mighty despite their small numbers. Personally, I am most encouraged by the increasing presence of small communities of believers who are embedding themselves in the culture and are serving the communities of our nation in the love of Christ.

I can't help but wonder what is our real aim for "growth" in the Kingdom of God or whose kingdom we are interested in growing. Bigger crowds mean bigger offerings which mean bigger budgets which mean bigger programs and buildings which, in turn, means that we can reach more people (so they say). I see the logic, but I am not so certain the logic is flawless.

If our model is always "growth", we're going to fail. It's inevitable. We can't always grow. Like our present economy, after years of rapid growth, there was an almost obligatory decline (and correction) in the economy. The toll on churches whose measure of success is increasing numbers and growing budgets is calamitous when they begin to decline. Ever-shrinking numbers carry the burden of excessive bugdet deficits and building debt, not to mention the general sense of failure and malaise that accompanies these churches who live in the memory of the "glory days" and struggle to cope with the finacial pressure.

I am not so sure this represents the vitality of God's people living in God's purpose on earth.

I have served in churches whose numbers were declining and whose budgets were strained... and witnessed the stress and anxiety and grief it caused. I've lost a church job because of budget cuts and had to leave our ministry in Ireland because the money wasn't there. I have personally felt the sting. In the pain (and frustration), I have thought a great deal about how dependent so much ministry is upon numbers and dollars...and it has caused me to re-evaluate what I consider ministry to be and how determined I am that we are not so limited when the mammon doesn't come.

I wonder just how much of our emphasis (and security) on church growth is the product of growing up under the influence of capitalism and consumerism. I'm not mocking our American system, but the idea that bigger is better is more of a societal expectation than it is a biblical one.

I work for an organization that thrives on "meeting numbers" and "measuring growth". I must admit that numerical growth has never really meant much to me. I have always delighted in the individual and have thrived in the one-on-one, small group, and changed life. I find reward in telling the stories of my students and friends who have overcome great odds and have discovered life in Christ. I measure success by those who are walking with their God and in the footsteps of Jesus, those who are serving across the globe and right next door with tangible expressions of the love of God. I love the people who fill my life and see them all as a gift from God and a life to be celebrated (Christian or not).

I am just not sure that "how much?", "how many?", and "how often?" can adequately measure the important things in the Kingdom of God or adequately relate what constitutes "success". Success, I believe, is measured differently than what we may be used to or what our traditions may allow.

"You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing. But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind, and naked.'" (Revelation 3:17)


No comments: