Saturday, April 17, 2010

Tolerate

Tolerate: to endure without repugnance; to put up with.

Yesterday drew to a conclusion my fifth Discovery class of this school year. As is tradtion, the students and I spend a considerable part of the day expressing our public appreciation to one another and sharing our parting thoughts. We usually do an exercise I call "positive bombardment" during which we shower each student with words of appreciation from their peers and myself. Some classes choose to do the same for me, and it is always a rewarding experience.

When it was my turn in the spotlight, one student thanked me for always seeing the good in (them) and, with tearful expression, shared how much I and the class had made a difference in (their) life. Although (they) were not aware of it, (their) words convicted me to the core. Here's why:

I know my heart. Although I had treated this student with dignity and respect, my heart held other judgments. This student confused my well-disguised tolerance for something better, purer. I knew better. I suppose this is an example of both the ugliness and beauty of tolerance. It's beautiful when a person can treat another human being with decency and respect despite ill-drawn conclusions or personal opinion. It's ugly, on the other hand, when the face of tolerance masks darker thoughts and feelings.

I was happy to know that this student's experience with me and in my classroom was a positive one, but as a follower of Christ, I believe it is important for me to move beyond my pressumptions and judgments...and I hadn't bothered to do that in this circumstance.

It's a fact of life that sometimes we do have to tolerate people whose personalities, life styles, and choices conflict with our own...but we should always aim for something better! I think it cheapens people when we say "I don't like you, but I'll tolerate you."

I think tolerance is part of the journey along the way from intolerance to love. It's good to arrive at tolerance for a little while so long as we are continuing down the road to something better. Tolerance, in and of itself, is not the ideal destination.


No comments: