Thursday, April 1, 2010

Beyond Ordinance

"Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet" (Jesus, John 13:14).

My church tradition observes the ordinance of feet-washing according to Jesus' example and instructions in John 13. Twice annually, we'd gather in the sanctuary for some hymns and personal reflection before proceeding to the basement or church hall to be seated at the tables. Around the tables, we'd read the account of Jesus washing his disciples feet and remind ourselves again of his mandate that we do the same. The men would retire to one room while the sisters left for another to begin washing and drying one another's feet.

For many of my non-Brethren brothers and sisters in Christ, this tradition seems like one of the more peculiar practices of Brethren groups.

Feet-washing always preceeded the meal, which was usually some modest affair. In the church I grew up in, we'd eat our ham and butter sandwich in "reflective silence" while awkwardly hearing the sweet pickles crunch in our neighbor's mouth. Other churches shared a more traditional "sop" made of break soaked in beef broth while engaging in lively conversation as among family.

Following the meal, we'd take the bread and the cup in rememberance of Christ and usually conclude the evening together by singing "Blessed Be the Tie That Binds".

It's called the "Love Feast".

As awkward as such experiences would be for most, I have always appreciated the symbolism of washing one another's feet. I remember my first such communion experience shortly after my baptism as though it were just last week, and there was something special about being surrounded by my elders as they cared for me and I for them. The sharing of such experiences have been among the highlights of my times in Christian community.

I'm not sure which is more awkward for people: washing or being washed. For some, the idea of touching another person's feet is a put off -- an act they find repulsive and disgusting. Others, however, seem to really struggle with people having to wash their "immodest" parts, and they struggle with being served in such a way. Either way, the discomfort is good for us. Whether we wrestle with being served (as Peter did) or find the task difficult or repulsive to do, Jesus has his reasons in asking us to follow his example.

Whether washing one another's feet or serving someone in their mess (or being served in our mess), Jesus reminds us that we have been redeemed to serve and to come along side humanity as he came along side of us. The example Jesus set before us is one well worth following.

It goes beyond ordinance.


2 comments:

Jonathon said...

good stuff...glad you are still writing mr!

j

Eric J. Bargerhuff, Ph.D. said...

Boy do I miss those times. I remember once at a National Conference in Mt. Vernon OH (Mount Vernon Nazarene College) the men all burst into song while we washed. It was a God moment!