Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Walk

"There's a difference between knowing the Path and walking the Path." (The Matrix).

My friend Jonathon Stalls begins his walk across America on Monday, March 1st in Lewes, Delaware. His journey will take him across twelve states covering nearly 3,000 miles over roughly 11 months. His adventure is as much about his faith as it is his desire for authentic community. He will also be walking to raise awareness for an organization he supports called Kiva.

You can find out more about his journey by going to his website at www.kivawalk.com.

In honor of Jon's impending journey, I want so share the Prayer of St. Brendan with you. St. Brendan, born in 484 near present-day Tralee, Co Kerry, Ireland made a missionary voyage across the Atlantic in a leather boat according to tradition. Facing the unknown perils of the journey, this prayer was offered:

Shall I abandon, O King of mysteries, the soft comforts of home? Shall I turn my back on my native land, and turn my face towards the sea?
Shall I put myself wholly at your mercy, without silver, without a horse, without fame, without honour? Shall I throw myself wholly upon You, without sword and shield, without food and drink, without a bed to lie on? Shall I say farewell to my beautiful land, placing myself under Your yoke?
Shall I pour out my heart to You, confessing my manifold sins and begging forgiveness, tears streaming down my cheeks? Shall I leave the prints of my knees on the sandy beach, a record of my final prayer in my native land?
Shall I then suffer every kind of wound that the sea can inflict? Shall I take my tiny boat across the wide sparkling ocean? O King of the Glorious Heaven, shall I go of my own choice upon the sea?
O Christ, will You help me on the wild waves?

Jon -- God be with you on your journey. Safe home.


No comments: