Wednesday, October 29, 2008

More Present

. . .

A few weeks back, my friend Jon uttered one of those statements that just sort of stuck in my head because I identify with it but am disappointed that I didn't think of it first. He said that he was moving into a time in his life where he was going to be "more present with less things". More present with less things...what a great thought!

There's a lot of relevance to what he said that night. In our American addiction for more, it becomes easy for us to fill our lives to excess. When we are addicted to stuff, it becomes obvious because we can see the evidence all around us. Our inclination to fill our lives with obligations and busyness may seem less clear to us and may appear to be satisfying to some. I don't know what's true for you, but I tend to be less content the more my life is crammed. The more obligations, appointments, and connections I have, the less I feel connected to those who are an essential part of my life. In an effort to spread myself around, I can lack the depth of relationship, friendship, and community that I really crave. Ironically, by filling my life with more, I feel emptier.

I respect what I learned from the Irish, that appreciation for neighbor, the cup of tea, and the chat in the middle of the road. It's nice to know that in some places in the world, there isn't much that is more important than a conversation with a friend -- where that exchange isn't restricted by time or interrupted by an obligation to be elsewhere.

I've come to place a high value on those times, and I've protected my schedule since moving back to America. I have no urge to fill up my calendar, but our door will always be open to those with whom we can share the joy of life together. I am content in that place.