Saturday, October 18, 2008

Gift of Community

...


I had a great discussion the other night with some friends regarding the interpretation and understanding of the scriptures. We had just been to one of those book signings at a book store and heard an author sharing about her experience watching Christian television for 24 hours. Her book takes a very sarcastic look at how Christianity is marketing itself in America. I found myself cheering her on...but that's another story.

Our conversation afterward centered on how Christian groups come to different understandings of the same words. I explained that some denominations reserve interpretation only for the educated clergy or governing body, whereas some churches simply accept whatever comes out of the mouth of their pastor/leader. One view holds that "common folks" can't be trusted with understanding scripture on their own while the other view says that one man can have all the answers. I find myself somewhere in the middle on this one...

I believe that it is always best that we seek God's will together -- in community. As we strive together in humility to hear God's voice, I believe that His Spirit works in each of us, not just in one man! Single-man leadership is risky and unaccountable, and none of us are above getting it wrong or interpreting scripture according to our own prejudices and ill-conceived ideas. Neither do I believe that only the professionally educated among us have the right or insight to interpret scripture. The educated are not above getting it wrong either, and we don't have to look to far into history to find plenty of examples of how the clergy-class got it wrong and people suffered for it.

As we strive together in examining the scriptures, we are saved from living under the bondage of one man's use of the words of God to mislead, misdirect, or even manipulate. We are also saved from curse of never knowing for ourselves the promises of God found in the written words of the Gospel because they have been hidden from us by those who reserve the right to interpret and preach "another gospel". I am certain that these precious words from God were never intended to be under the control of one class or one man but that the Holy Spirit works among all believers in the body to keep those ancient words fresh, alive, and free.

I love the gift of community for many reasons. For me, having those friends in Christ with whom I can share my life and grow together is one of my most treasured "possessions". I feel that if I were to cut myself off from God, I would die. I believe that to cut myself off from the community of others is death also. I cherish the input, solidarity, strength, and joy of living that I find in my community of faith -- however small it may be -- and I appreciate what we learn together of the will of God as the Holy Spirit works through each of us.

I don't for a moment believe that we are capable of the "perfect" interpretation so long as any of us have our hands in it, but I do trust the Spirit of God to work among us despite ourselves...and, God willing, to begin to work through us.




No comments: