Friday, April 25, 2008

Update on the Western Front

For those following the drama, I've been in Denver, Colorado since Sunday. During that time, I have been called into three interviews in a row with a nonprofit organization that works with at-risk youth in the Denver Metro area in cooperation with public schools and youth correctional facilities. All three interviews have gone well, and I have enjoyed them.
My second interview was a bit strange. They brought me before eight women and had me teach a ten minute class on a topic of my choice. They weren't so much interested in my teaching ability as much as they were curious how I would handle distraction and poor student behavior -- which they were all too glad to provide. I found the whole experience to be rather strange. How do you role play disciplining the very people who are there to hire you? At least I didn't throw up...
My third interview was with two representatives from Lookout Mountain Youth Correctional Facility in Golden, Colorado. This is one of the teaching positions they are considering me for. Lookout Mnt. is a maximum security prison for youth between 16 and 20. If offered the job, I will be teaching life skills and offering one-on-one mentoring within the confines of the prison. Sounds like an incredible opportunity!
Despite all the good interviews, the process isn't quite over. I continue to wait and will no doubt have at least one more interview, probably within the Correctional facility itself. We appreciate your on-going prayers on our behalf.
Brenda had an amazing phone interview with another nonprofit organization here in Denver yesterday. The organization she has applied for is a street level nonprofit that helps with social welfare and rights for minorities, undocumented workers, and the poor. She is thrilled with how her conversations have gone with her interviewers, and we hope she will get a follow up interview within a couple weeks. This group does amazing work in the Denver area, and I believe it does an important work that is close to the heart of God.
Also, we have a house! I placed a deposit down on a home on Cherry Street in the Denver metro area. A friend of ours -- and a former HOPE intern with us in Ireland -- will be moving in with us later in the summer.
There's more updating to be done, but this update from the west will do for now.

No comments: