Sunday, April 13, 2008

Close to God

I tend to be a bit skeptical of formulas when applied to the Christian faith. We calculate our formulas of faith and preach them with all the conviction our enlightened reason can muster. We have our "12 Steps to Knowing God", our "Four Spiritual Laws", and our three-point sermons -- all meant to make our understanding of God so tidy...and scientific. I think the Age of Reason demanded such an approach, but in our present age, people are crying out for something more.

I know a lot of genuine people who are craving closeness with God. Their search for God is not merely an objective one (verified by fact alone) but is more subjective (defined by experience and relationship). But, ask the question "How do you get closer to God?" and you will most likely hear the following response: read your bible, pray, don't sin -- and if you're really spiritual -- fast. It sounds so, well -- methodical.

Read the bible + pray + don't sin = relationship with God.

Really? Is it that simple? Don't get me wrong...I agree that reading the bible, praying, avoiding sin, and fasting are good things -- but I am not convinced that these things alone get us closer to God. If that were the case, then why are so many reading, praying, fasting, "not-sinning" Christians feeling so empty and stale? The answer for them always seems to be read MORE, pray MORE, fast MORE, sin LESS. No matter how much we pray and read, we can never pray and read enough. More is required, and the guilt compounds.

Could it be possible that my relationship with God is not based on my efforts? What a novel -- and biblical -- idea!

Does closeness with God come from accumulated knowledge and other spiritual disciplines alone? Or does closeness with God come from His love and grace capturing our heart and transforming us to be like Jesus? I think intimacy with the Father is demonstrated when we love and care for the people the Father loves.

We are living in an age when a generation is demanding relationships that are authentic and transformational, and their search for truth will not be satisfied through reason alone. The truth of Jesus Christ is not merely an intellectual truth! He is a Truth that is transformational, experiential, and tangible. He is Truth in my mind. He is Truth in my heart. He is Truth in my soul. He is Truth in my body. He is Truth in my identity. He is Truth in my gut.

As this truth intersects with our messy, complicated, sloppy lives, the work of his love and grace is evident. It is not as tidy and methodical as many would like, but it is beautiful!

No comments: