Saturday, March 15, 2008

Wayfaring

Wayfaring [wey-fair-ing]: traveling, esp. on foot (adjective, noun)

My choice for the title of this new blog was a deliberate one. I have, for most of my life, enjoyed traveling -- and all the experiences that come along with the journey. I seem to never tire of the road, the trail, or the venture.
The same is true for my life.
I enjoy the journey of life and all the experiences that come with it. Some of our journeys have been well planned, but they certainly have not all been that way. Take our recent move back to the United States for example. It is a move we did not want to make, but we find ourselves here nonetheless.
We are delighted that our journey in life took us to Ireland, and while we may not yet be delighted that our travels have brought us back to the States, we are certain that the experiences that lie ahead of us will be just as significant and come to mean as much to us.
I am encouraged by these few lines from a prayer attributed to Patrick of Ireland:
I rise today with the power of God to guide me,
with the strength of God to raise me,
with the wisdom of God to lead me,
with the vision of God to see for me,
with the ears of God to hear for me,
with the words of God to speak for me,
with the hand of God to protect me,
with the path of God before me,
with the shield of God to guard me,
with the friendship of God to keep me...
Although our journey is a bit of a venture (see definition below), we trust in God. That's no boast...it's a raw and simple trust in the Father's direction and provision in the midst of my weakness (anxiousness, fear, worry, insecurity, doubt, et al...).
I leave for the West tomorrow. I'm going on a bit of a reconnaissance mission to see if that's where we'll be heading next. We haven't made up our minds about anything yet, but we'll let you know when we do.

Venture [ven-cher]: an undertaking involving uncertainty as to the outcome, esp. a risky or dangerous one (noun, verb).


No comments: