Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Resurrection

It was just over a year ago that Hollywood director James Cameron announced to us all that he had discovered the tomb of Jesus. The tomb also apparently contained the graves of two Mary's, a Matthew, a Jofa, and -- most surprisingly -- a son of Jesua (Jesus) named Jonah. Cameron was, I'm sure, convinced he was doing us all a favor by setting the record straight: not only did Jesus marry and have a son, but he is still dead. After all, Cameron has the tomb to prove it.

I guess that's it then. Time to call it quits.

I'm not surprised by his claim; it's nothing new. After all, Jesus is a fair target for all of those who are looking for reasons to dismiss him and his claims. If you want to destroy the Christian faith, prove that Jesus is still in the grave. Paul said in his letter to the Corinthian believers that "if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is worth nothing, and your faith is worth nothing" (1 CO 15:14).

Anyone offering absolute proof that Jesus is still in a grave somewhere would have the silver bullet that would kill the Christian faith. And, like Paul, if that were proved, I would agree that our faith is worth nothing.

No resurrection. No faith.

If Jesus is still dead, we have to dismiss what he came to teach us -- that God is for us, loves us, and offers us His grace; that God is interested in the wholeness and healing of humanity; that God is merciful just as Jesus is merciful. We have to reject Jesus' ideas of justice, care for the poor, forgiveness, equality, salvation, and peace.

No resurrection. No truth.

If Jesus is still dead, I can ignore his example, live without loving another, act without regard for another's good, pursue my own agenda, forgive no one, aspire for power, and fear death. I could brush off his claims that following him and doing as he did is a way that leads to life.

No resurrection. No life.

I can understand why so many would want to kill Christianity. After all, there have been many who claimed to follow Christ through the centuries who have only brought judgment, condemnation, and death to their fellow man. But kill Christ? When I read the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John), I read about the Jesus who brought people life and then asked us to join him in his life, to live as he did. I see nothing in Jesus that I would reject.

But the powerful have always hated Jesus and have been offended by his message. They opposed him when he walked the earth, because his teachings didn't serve them or their agendas. If anyone had an excuse to kill Jesus, it was the religious and political leaders of his day. And if anyone had a reason to produce a body and refute the claims of the early believers that Jesus was alive, they did. If they would have produced a body, the movement would have died with Jesus. But they didn't.

I believe it's because they didn't have one to produce.

I still believe in the resurrection. I believe in the life Jesus brings -- because I know the life he brought me. I believe in the way Jesus invites us to live -- to love and serve as he loved and served. I believe in the truth that Jesus reveals to us about God -- that the Father is for us, loves us, and receives us as His own. While many try to prove that he is still dead, I see proof all around me that he is still quite very alive.


No comments: