Sunday, October 3, 2010

Scripture

"Most people are bothered by those passages of Scripture they do not understand, but the passages that bother me are those I do understand" (Mark Twain).

Digging through an old chest full of memories last week, I stumbled across an old bible that had belonged to my mother. Other than records of her marriage and the births of those in our family, the only other writing in the book were a few verses that she had underscored (Matthew 10:32-33; Mark 8:34-38; and Luke 12:8,9). In all three passages, Jesus seems to be saying the same thing, so it caused me to wonder what my mother had been hearing from God so significantly those fifty-odd years ago.

Do you ever get this sneaky suspicion that you are being read when you read the Scriptures, as though Someone were peering into the window of your soul that you forgot to close? I have experienced that "living and active" part of God's word many times. I find quite often that while I am reading, the Spirit of God is reading me. It's as if he is leaning over my shoulder and whispering into my soul.

I've lost track of how many times I have experienced what Fr. Richard Rohr calls "the right hand and left hand of God". He says, "God clearly loves us with both left and right hands, total demands (commandments) combined with pure, unearned grace" ("Adam's Return", p. 85). This explains why sometimes as I read Scripture, I feel comforted while other times I feel disciplined. Sometimes it refreshes; sometimes it stings. Sometimes his presence is appreciated; sometimes it feels a bit invasive.

It's all the same God speaking.

I must confess, however, that the bible simply as knowledge doesn't really interest me that much. The inner work of transformation does. I've known people who were masters of biblical trivia -- people who would be able to skunk Moses in a quiz on Exodus --but don't possess an ounce of love for God or charity for their fellow man. The recitation of bible stories can do wonders for communicating truths about God, but that transformative element where the Spirit of God communes with our spirit to bring alignment and life...now that's the good stuff!

I've read the bible, and I've been read by the bible...and I know the difference. Reading a book on marriage can be a good thing, but it is no replacement for actually being married. Some of my most profound spiritual experiences have come through being "read like a book" as I moved through the pages of God's word.

It is inspiring.

It is invasive.

It is cutting.

It is healing.

God comes close, and it is significant.

"How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth" (Psalm 119:103).


No comments: