Sunday, December 27, 2009

Remember

"God sets the lonely in families..." (Psalm 68:6).

We have a very broad view of home and family at the Ray house.

There are reasons for it, I suppose.

I'll start off with a biblical perspective. The scriptures teach us that taking up the cause of the fatherless, the stranger, and the widow is something the Father of fathers seems to value in His children. The author of the book of James says that pure and faultless religion means looking after orphans and widows (James 1:27). Jesus took it a step further. Rather than serving a cause, he says that whenever we feed the hungry or welcome the stranger we are actually doing that for him. The author of Hebrews says that by making hospitality our practice, we may be entertaining angels unaware (13:2).

I suppose the verses I've come to appreciate the most in this regard is found in Deuteronomy 24:17-18 which says, "Do not deprive the stranger or the fatherless of justice or take the cloak of the widow as a pledge. Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and the Lord your God redeemed you from there. That is why I command you to do this."

Remember...

I remember. I was the fatherless child.

And I remember being redeemed from that place, and I am grateful for the rescue. So how can I not do the same? The core of my faith...that place where Christ met me...demands it from me. I will glady spend myself, open our home, and share our life to right the injustice that fatherlessness brings.

I remember.