Monday, February 23, 2009

Underrated

One of America's under-rated places.

I decided it was time for a bit of a mid-winter road trip this past weekend. We packed up the truck and headed west towards the Colorado National Monument in the western part of the state hoping to be freed from the confines of the city. With so many large and impressive National Parks in America's west, this one had skipped my attention. It's one of those places that barely get a mention in the books I've read on National Parks and sights of interest. Even the National Park Service's own website is lack-luster in it's promotion of the park, and since they only charge a mere seven bucks to get into the thing, I didn't figure it was much of a big tourist draw.

Despite the lack of information on CNM, I made the assumption that there must be something to it since the Federal government went through all the trouble to make it a National Monument in 1911. My assumptions were correct.

This place is an underrated gem.

My first impressions of the place were made in the dark since we arrived around 7:30 p.m. We couldn't see beyond the reach of my highbeams, but we were impressed with the glimpses of red rock and the road that meandered and coiled its way up the canyon walls and through unforeseen tunnels. As we reached our campground and turned off the truck, we were awestruck at the blanket of stars over our heads and amused by the soft, red soil beneath our feet that was fine as flour. Already, I was impressed. I fell asleep with the anticipation of seeing something great in the morning. It didn't disappoint.

In the earliest years of the 20th century, Mr. John Otto saw something special in these rocks and formations on the Colorado Plateau, and he fought to have the land recognized and protected. He became it's first ranger after it gained National Monument status in 1911. I'm not sure how many people have explored it since then, but there were times when we felt like we had the place to ourselves. We only expected to spend a few hours there but ended up staying the better part of the weekend hiking, photographing, and exploring. By comparison to other National Parks and Monuments, CNM is very small and undervisited but it certainly packs a punch.

I couldn't help thinking about other things that have slipped my attention...those hidden little gems out there. I started thinking about the "least of these" and all the other hidden treasures there must be in this great country. The small places seem to get overshadowed by the mega, but there is always depth and life to be found among the least and the last. I'm sure that's why Jesus spent so much of his time with the least and the last. He seemed to prefer their company and said that the Kingdom belonged to them. I can appreciate that.

I love the overlooked places (and the overlooked people), but don't take my word for it. You'll have to go see for yourself.

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field."


No comments: