Sunday, November 2, 2008

Feeding on Fear

"Love is what we were born with. Fear is what we learned here."

I've commented before on The Wayfarer about the culture of fear that I see being so widespread in our American society. We are bombarded daily with media messages that feed us fear. If you are like me, I've had enough of the smorgasbord of dread and despair that is handed to us daily by politicians, economists, and those other agitators of alarm. Our fear benefits those who want us to be afraid!

Jean de La Fontaine said, "Everyone believes very easily whatever they fear..." I've learned a lot about myself in 2008, and I've come to realize how easily my life can be gripped by fear. I have felt the tug and tension of both fear and faith pulling at my life simultaneously. I've learned that faith does not eliminate fear but is an awareness of the presence of God when I am afraid. And I am learning that faith is not the antithesis of fear: love is! (1 John 4:18).

Since fear is a learned behavior, I suppose it is something I can also unlearn. I can hand back any fear that is handed to me and choose, instead, to rest in that place of peace and security, love and mercy that is found in Jesus. I am certainly happier in that place, and why I choose to accept the fear handed to me remains a mystery.


1 comment:

Lamb said...

Help me.
I am afraid. Not of anyone or of the economy destroying itself, not of natural disasters, not even of the great Lucifer.
I am afraid of dying.
If I were to die tomorrow that would be fine. But the thought of dying years from now scares me to an extent that I can't sleep. Even in the middle of the day, that fear stops me in my tracks and catches my breath. The thought of not existing and not being able to do anything about it drives fear deep in to me. Every second it draws closer. I can imagine it and that proves that my life is just a blip in all existence. My great grandfather told my father when he was 92 and my father was 4 that he could remember when he was that age. I can remember when I was three. I'm 18. I can remember 15 years ago like it was yesterday. I'm afraid, Mark. Help me.