Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Theocracy

Theocracy: a government ruled by or subject to religious authority.

I think our forefathers had tremendous insight and courage when they placed limits on the role of government in religion and vice versa. They had great insight because they were aware of the potential of religious dominance based on European history. They were courageous because they created a system of government that was vastly different than any other nation on earth at the time.

There is a centuries-old tension in US history over the role of religion in government and the role of government in religion. The limits they placed in our founding documents not only protected religious freedom, but it also protected the people from those who would use their religious/political power to coerce or dictate the masses.

This is one believer who is grateful for the separation of church and state.

I see a stark contrast between the Kingdom of God as demonstrated and taught by Jesus and religious people who seek after power, position, and influence. While I can see benefit in having true followers of Christ working in government, I get disturbed when I see Christians pursuing power to "wield God's influence over the land". I get the feeling that the "influence" they long to brandish has little to do with Jesus and a lot to do with legistlating their ideas of morality. Faith cannot be legislated; behavior can. There are those who would replace faith with a moral code, caring not about the bankruptcy of the human soul but only their conformity to certain norms of behavior. Conformity to certain behaviors hardly demonstrates that we are a "Christian nation".

The Kingdom of God doesn't long for political power. Judas was gravely disappointed with Jesus because he was expecting a Messiah who would bring about the military uprising to topple the imperialist Roman government. The Pharisees rejected Jesus -- among many reasons -- because he rejected their use of coercion to bring about external conformity of behavior to match up to their interpretations of scripture and tradition.

And there are many in this nation who would do the same!

While I agree that God's word is good for us and a better way to live, I don't believe that people can be coerced into faith. I do not accept that religious coercion is God's will, and I believe instead that it only prevents people from coming to faith in Jesus Christ. Are we more interested in external conformity of behavior or in the genuine transformation of people that comes through the grace of God found in Jesus?

I often hear well-intended Christians saying "I want our country to live according to the Bible". My question is this: who's interpretation of it? The legalist's interpretation? The liberal interpretation? Those who would want to "usher in" the last days? I fear which version of Christianity would rule the day!

Years ago, my spiritual forefathers (the Brethren) didn't exercise their right to vote because they thought to do so would be to participate in all the decisions -- good or bad, right or wrong -- that their elected officials carried out. I can understand their historical point of view. Do we concern ourselves with the Kingdom of God or the kingdoms of this world? Although my citizenship is in the United States of America -- and proudly so -- I seek to live my life by a higher calling. My identity in Christ transcends my loyalty to my nation, and the revolution Jesus brings about in my heart causes me to love and serve my neighbor rather than pursue political power or personal gain.

"My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is in another place." (Jesus, John 18:36)

"Seek first his kingdom..." (Jesus, Matthew 6:33)

"...the kingdom of God is within you." (Jesus, Luke 17:21


No comments: