Sunday, August 10, 2008

Self-Imposed Limitations


Dozens of times a day, I hear the words "I can't" from my very capable class of students, and dozens of times a day, I remind them that the only limitations on them are the ones that are self-imposed. I am sure that many of my kids come from situations in which they have been quite limited. Their immediate retreat to the "I can't" zone is either out of habit or out of security. It is very difficult for them to take risk, face change, or get outside of their sector of security and familiarity.


I went with several students to a ropes course in the Rockies a few weeks back, and I was curious about one student in particular during a high ropes element. She made her fear of heights well-known but still managed to climb the 30-foot high cave ladder, walk across a guidewire suspended 30 feet in the air, and repel down at the end. As she was successfully accomplishing her goal, she kept repeating the words "I can't" and "I'm scared". But she did it! Her words were communicating one thing while her actions were proving the opposite. She was quite capable.


I think the human brain is quite powerful, as created by God. I also think that the limitations we place in our own thinking can act as somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Whatever we think we will not be able to do, we probably will not do. Many of us hardly ever push ourselves beyond our self-imposed limitations. Those limits are formed out of habit and through our own need for security.


I've heard people say that it's good to know your limits, and some might argue that it's OK to stay on the safe side of life. I am just not so sure that much good gets accomplished when we seek after safety and security. I am not at all convinced that seeking safety and security is a formula for faith, even though we have probably unconsciously written safety and security into our theology.


I know many people who have risked much in their own life and for the sake of others. I have read countless stories of men and women of faith who went well beyond their own personal limitations to do what they believed God was calling them to do. I don't recall having ever read a story in the scriptures in which God chose a self-confident blowhard. Instead, I read about men and women who struggled to overcome their own insecurities, doubts, and limitations.


Every day, I am reminded of my own limitations, and every day I have to decide whether to live in faith -- trusting that the Father has me where I am for His purposes -- or live in fear and my own limitations. Every day can be a battle to overcome the onslaught of "I can't" or "I'm not capable". Every day there is a choice to be made whether I am going to get out of myself or stay locked up in my false cocoon of security. Every day.


Our self-imposed limitations keep us from people and keep us from stepping outside of ourselves to live as Jesus did in this world. Those limitations will keep us from our neighbor, keep us from serving one another, and keep us from living as His in this world. Retreating into our own communes of faith, our own homes, or even into ourself hardly seems compatable with the Jesus who interfaced with humanity to bring hope, life, and love.


It may be good to know our limitations, but I don't think it's good to limit the work of God in our life (or through our life) by our small thinking. The followers of Christ in the scriptures battled constantly with this. The counsel of their Leader offered them hope and an omnipotent perspective on life: "With man, this is impossible, but with God all things are possible" (Matthew 19:26).


No comments: